Another year, another load of memories. It has been quite the rollercoaster of a year!
- The EVAs (Excellence in Volunteering Awards): I’ve been organising events for a while now but putting this together from nothing was quite the feat. We sold out right before the event and had such a variety of volunteers attend. I have been on stage plenty of times before but I was so nervous to give the keynote pictured above. But once I got up there – and then got the awesome feedback from people watching live (yep, 200 in attendance and viewers watching online too) – I really got what I am capable of, and that I am enough.
- Meeting some incredible new people! I met the three lovely ladies pictured with me at one of Blogosphere’s meet-ups and since then I have met other incredible like-minded people in the same community. It has been such a pleasure getting to know the community that make up the digital world that I am now going on to make my own contribution in 2017 in the form of #InspiredBy.
- “I don’t know where I am going, but I know it won’t be boring”: David Bowie was sadly physically lost in 2016, but he still lived on for me. He came as an inspiration to me when I was in need of some confidence boosting back in October/November. I really got present to the power of being me. The power that I have and am capable of and that I am doing ok.
- Seeing Louise Live! and getting one of my photos – and my name – into the same edition of Blogosphere with Zoella on the front!!! Having followed Zoella since the beginning of my Year Abroad alllll the way back in summer 2013, it’s safe to say she has been an inspiration to me for a significant period of time.
Getting to see Louise Pentland – and Darcy – live was equally special! Having watched them both for the same time as Zoe Sugg. Super relatable and loving, I took the Insta pic and thought nothing of it. Then, when I saw my pic in the event collage, it’s safe to say I was ecstatic! This was the beginning for me. Once again, I had proof that anything was possible. Thank you Blogosphere!!
- Working with Burberry/attending AW16 Paris Fashion Week as Press: Han Meets World had only just begun and already I was doing collab work with Burberry!!! What was going on!? The whole weekend was magical. Arriving in Paris the same amount of time it took me to get from London to Heathrow. Attending as Press and then watching the Eiffel Tower at 1am. I really got present to what I wanted from my life. Thank you Burberry and Oxford Fashion Studio.
- Meeting some famous faces. I have had sooooo many encounters with big names this year, I almost laugh at myself when I think about it. At Good Roots Festival alone I had the pleasure of meeting Ella Woodward (Deliciously Ella; pictured above), Niomi Smart, Melanie Hemsley and Liberty London Girl – as well as seeing many health names speak. Fast forward a few months and I had In The Frow retweeting me, had seen Louise Pentland live, met Estee Lalonde and Tanya Burr had broken my Twitter – and my iPhone 4s – after retweeting a photo I took of her. Amongst many other random occasions. It truly was a year where I got that famous people are just like you and I, the difference is their approach and goals. (And also they aren’t who you thought they would be – which of course is not always a bad thing).
- Finishing a year as a Sabb. In March 2015 I campaigned for four weeks solid to go on to win my job as Vice-President Engagement at the University of Southampton Students’ Union for a year. It’s safe to say it was intense, tough and draining. But there were plenty of rewards. The people I met, the places I went and the opportunities I have been able to talk about since, all make for the short term pain. Being in the tiny demographic of trustees under 25 in the UK is one of the many awesome things I can now say I have been and done, and I highly recommend entrepreneurial minds give it a go. Thank you to my team! I learned a lot with you and from you!
- Moving to London. I never thought I would do it, but making the decision one night and then moving out the next week has proved to be one of *the* absolute best decisions I have EVER made! The experiences, the contacts, the adventures I have had have been truly incredible – and they’re only going to get better!!
- And finally: the blogging opportunities. I have worked with several incredible people companies this year. From start-ups to big names, it was a pleasure working with you: thank you, and I wish you all the best!
What were your top nine for this year?